Watershed organizations are guided by their Watershed Management Plan
The Bassett Creek Watershed Management Commission works with residents, organizations, and its member cities to protect and improve water resources like Bassett Creek and its tributaries, wetlands, ponds, and lakes such as Medicine, Wirth, Twin, Sweeney, Northwood, Lost, Westwood, Parkers, and others.
The Watershed Management Plan is required to be updated every ten years. The BCWMC's Watershed Management Plan sets the vision and guidelines for managing surface water resources within the boundaries of the BCWMC. The BCWMC adopted its current plan, the 2015 Watershed Management Plan, at its September 17, 2015, BCWMC meeting.
Plan Amendments and Updates:
- At their meeting on May 18, 2017, the BCWMC approved revisions to requirements for linear projects and updated floodplain elevations to reflect new data generated through the development of a new XP-SWMM hydrologic model. As such, Appendix H, Tables 2-9 and 2-10, descriptions of waterbodies in Section 2.6.4, and policies 12, 13, and 32 in Section 4 were updated.
- At their meeting on July 20, 2017, the BCWMC adopted a plan amendment to update Table 5-3 (Capital Improvement Program).
- At their meeting on August 16, 2018, the BCWMC adopted a plan amendment to update Table 5-3 (Capital Improvement Program).
- At their meeting on August 20, 2020, the BCWMC adopted a plan amendment to update Table 5-3 (Capital Improvement Program), and to amend some policies related to wetland management in Section 4.0.
- At their meeting on August 19, 2021, the BCWMC adopted a plan amendment to update Table 5-3 ( Capital Improvement Program).
- In 2022, Table 2-9 was updated to incorporate new flood profiles, and Appendix H was updated with new project review fees.
2023 Proposed Plan Amendment
The BCWMC proposes a minor amendment to its Capital Improvement Program (CIP) (Table 5-3 in the 2015 Bassett Creek Watershed Management Plan). The amendment would add the Sochacki Water Quality Improvement Project to its 2024-2025 CIP schedule. Additional changes to the CIP include removing two projects from the current schedule and updating budgets of other projects.
- A public hearing on this amendment was held May 18, 2023 during the BCWMC regular meeting starting at 8:30 a.m. at Golden Valley City Hall (7800 Golden Valley Rd.)
- A comment period on the proposed amendment was extended until August 8, 2023. Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View a project fact sheet on the Sochacki Water Quality Improvement Project
- View the proposed changes to the Capital Improvement Program (Table 5-3)
Final Plan (Adopted Sept 17, 2015; Amended & Updated 2017)
Section 2 - Land and Water Resource Inventory
Section 3 - Assessment of Issues and Opportunities
Section 4 - Goals and Policies
Section 5 - Implementation
History of the Watershed Management Plan
Presentation to BWSR Metro Region Subcommittee
BCWMC Response to Comments
Watershed Plan Workshop Documents
Draft Plan Section 2 – Inventory
April 2014 Watershed Plan Workshop
Previous Results and Communications of the 2014 Watershed Management Plan Planning Process